[birdky] Transient Pools

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:26:39 -0700 (PDT)

The number of waterbirds has decreased significantly
the past few days at the transient pools.  Listed
below are species which have been present.

March 24
MCELROY w/ Robert Dever and Aaron Hulsey
Gadwall
Am Wigeon
Mallard
Both Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Greater Scaup
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy
PB Grebe
Horned Grebe
American Golden-Plover (56)
Both Yellowlegs
Pectoral Sandpiper (180)
Wilson's Snipe

Vesper Sparrow (Shaker Mill Rd)
Purple Finch (Shaker Mill Rd)

March 25
MCELROY
Same species but with only one Golden-Plover and less
than fifty Pectoral Sandpipers.  A Merlin of the
prairie race (F.c.richardsonii) was present, a
different bird than on March 22.

March 27 w/ Steve Kistler
MCELROY
Low numbers of previously reported waterfowl including
a Pintail and male Greater Scaup.
Red-breasted Merganser (7)
Golden-Pover (1)
Both Yellowlegs (10-)
Pectoral Sandpiper (~10)
Snipe (8-)
Bonaparte's Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Am Pipit

Other transient pools we visited had relatively low
numbers of waterfowl present and almost no shorebirds
with the exception of snipe.  These pools included
Chaney, Walton's, Petros, and Chapman's Ponds in
Warren County, and Morgan's Pond in Christian County.
We also checked Guthrie Swamp where we found four
Hooded Mergansers and an adult Bald Eagle.

There was a female-plumaged Purple Finch at the feeder
this morning almost blinded by a case of
conjunctivitis in both eyes.

David L. Roemer
Bowling Green, Ky.