[birdky] Tips on looking for the L-b Murrelet

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:01:46 -0500

I returned to my computer with several emails asking about the status of the
murrelet.  The following information may be useful to anyone looking for the
bird that has not left home yet.  Sorry for no one posting last night about
it's whereabouts at the end of the day.

After about apparently three hours of sitting on the Ohio River at the spot
where David first discovered the bird yesterday, barges on the Ohio River
caused it to slowly move DOWNSTREAM and tend towards the INDIANA side.  By
the way, we believe we saw the bird clearly in Indiana on a couple of
occasions.  After about 4:00 p.m. EST, most of us never saw the bird again,
but Major Waltman DID see it last, about halfway between the Zorn Ave Water
Co plant and Eva Bandman Park.

If it did remain in the area (and the weather certainly was conducive to it
doing so), it could probably MOST LIKELY be seen from one of the following
locations:

KY SIDE -- Eva Bandman Park; Louisville Municipal Harbor, or back at the
original site; Major also gained access to the river by driving back into
the industrial area between these points, but I'm not sure what permission
is necessary and exactly which point he found it possible.

IND SIDE -- Jeffersonville waterfront (above what is called the Big-4 bridge
-- abandoned RR bridge, most upstream of the 4 Louisville bridges).  If you
go farther upstream to the point where the bird was found yesterday, access
is EXTREMELY limited, mostly due to the Jeff-Boat barge works.  Just
upstream from it, though, is a residential area where if you ask permission
from a local resident, you can probably scan the river.  Across from the
discovery spot is also a Karouz marina (spelling might be wrong) but this
was a decent spot, too.

Who knows, the bird might be sitting just off the Jeff waterfront this
morning!  Good luck and if anyone sees the bird, please let someone like me
(502/573-2886) or Jane and Pat Bell (502/326-9610) know and we will post an
update to the listserve.

bpb, Louisville
brainard.palmer-ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx