[birdky] TN-KY Winter Hummer Update

  • From: "Chris Sloan" <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <humnet-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:45:10 -0600

I have created a web page that I hope to use throughout the winter to
keep folks up to date as to the status of winter hummers across
Tennessee and Kentucky.  As of right now, the layout is a little crude,
and there is a bit more data that I will add as I develop the page, but
this is a good start.

A couple of quick notes:  the Anderson County bird has actually been
banded, but I just haven't received the band number yet from Fred Moore,
who banded it.  Jean Stierberger's bird (the "Tennessee Lady") likely
represents a new longevity record for the species, having originally
been banded in Louisiana as a second year bird in 1995 (if memory
serves).  She is, as one might expect, pretty much impossible to trap at
this point.  Lastly, the Calliope that has since departed was banded,
but evaded our full day attempt at capturing it.  However, some photo
wizardry was able to extract a couple of bits of the band number, so Bob
Sargent is investigating whether there is enough to make a reasonable
guess as to the identify of that bird.

Obviously, there are a bunch of birds still out there to be banded.
We're hoping to put a big dent in that list over the next couple of
weekends.

Here's the page:
http://home.comcast.net/~chris.sloan/WinterHummers.html

Chris Sloan