[birdky] Spotted sandpiper

  • From: "john and phyllis niemi" <jandpniemi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 13:53:11 -0500

We had a good look at a spotted sandpiper at 7:45 this a.m. at Littlepage's
pond in southeastern Caldwell County.  This is just west of the body of water
called Otter Pond in DeLorme, p. 61.  The dam of Otter Pond broke several years
ago, the water subsequently inundating a field and several pieces of expensive
farm equipment (that are still there, according to the owner) and forming a new
pond next to Hwy. #126.  This pond laps at the edge of the road, and at times
covers it (6" deep) all the way to the opposite side.  We have seen 41 spp.
there, also muskrats dining on frogs,and a swimming white-tailed deer.

Good birding, and watch out for hailstones!

Phyllis B. Niemi
Lyon County, KY