[birdky] Somerset CBC 1/1/05

  • From: "Roseanna Denton" <roseanna@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BirdKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:11:53 -0500

The Somerset CBC was held on New Years Day with a total of 79 species found.

Everyone did a good job of finding most of the expected species. Northern
Harrier and Cedar Waxwing
were the only birds missed that we would normally expect to find. Herring Gull
was a count first.
The most uncommon CBC bird found was a House Wren. 2 Red-breasted Nuthatches, 3
Purple Finches, 20
Chipping Sparrows, 17 Fox Sparrows, 1 Horned Lark and 10 Redheads were some
highlights of the count.

125 Blue Jays was the lowest count in the 8 years the count has been held,
except for 2000 when we
only found 111. We had highs for the count of Hooded Merganser (71), Turkey
Vulture (71), Wild
Turkey (45), Eastern Phoebe (10), Carolina Wren (199) Winter Wren (8) and Song
Sparrow (401).

Thanks to Participants Judy Brant, Rhonda Bryant, Granville Cox, Steve Denton,
Gay Hodges, Steve
Kickert, James Kiser, Scott Marsh, Linda McClendon, Lynda & Tom Mills, Arlene
Morton and Stephen
Stedman.

~Roseanna Denton
Science Hill, KY