[birdky] Sloughs Monday & Tuesday

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:56:05 -0500

Monday 3/23/09

7AM to 11:30AM
57º overcast rising to 70º

The first opportunity I've had to bird the Sloughs since it opened on the 15th.

I covered in order Gentle Pond, Pond Creek Marsh, Hardy Slough, and the Shorebird Unit. Wood Tract is essentially useless, the water is gone except a little left next to the Shorebird Unit.

I checked out an Eagles nest that I had discovered late in the fall behind Gentle Pond. It is enormous.
I can send a jpeg of it if anyone is interested.
An adult was on the nest.

Highlights:

HORNED GREBE (Hardy Slough)
Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorants (30 overhead)
Great Blue Heron
Canada Geese
Mallards
Green-winged Teal (the most numerous duck)
Blue-winged Teal
Shovelers
Wood Ducks
BUFFLEHEAD (Hardy Slough)
Hooded Merganser
Turkey Vultures
Red-tailed Hawk
Bald Eagle
OSPREY (over Pond Creek Marsh)
Turkey
Am. Coots
Killdeer
Wilson's Snipe
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Dowitchers
Belted Kingfisher
E. PHOEBE
TREE SWALLOWS
WINTER WREN
Carolina Wren
Brown Thrashers
E. Bluebirds
GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET
E. Meadowlark
RUSTY BLACKBIRDS
Brown-headed Cowbirds
E. Towhee
Dark-eyed Juncos
Field Sparrows
White-crowned Sparrows
White-throated Sparrows
Fox Sparrows
Song Sparrows

Tuesday 3/24/09

7AM to 10:30AM
57º overcast, windy, rising to 72º

I covered in order Hardy Slough (walked around on the dikes), Shorebird Unit, Ohio River, Pond Creek Marsh, 268 slough.

HORNED GREBE (Hardy Slough again)
Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorants (raft of ~200 on the Ohio River)
Great Blue Heron
Canada Geese
Mallards
Green-winged Teal (again the most numerous duck)
Blue-winged Teal
Shovelers
Wood Ducks
Turkey Vultures
Red-tailed Hawks
Bald Eagles
Northern Harrier (over Pond Creek Marsh)
Turkey
Am. Coots
Killdeers
Wilson's Snipe
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Tree Swallows
Carolina Wrens
Brown Thrashers
E. Meadowlarks
Rusty Blackbirds
Brown-headed Cowbirds
Field Sparrows
Dark-eyed Juncos
White-crowned Sparrows
Swamp Sparrow
Song Sparrow

Backyard today: I saw a tail-bobbing E. Phoebe and heard a CHIPPING SPARROW.

Charlie
Henderson Co.