[birdky] Selasphorus Hummer 11 October 2004 Warren County

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:07:36 -0700 (PDT)

Since just before noon today, Joanie and I have hosted
a female/immature Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird.  It fed
at the feeders and spent much time flycatching in the
yard.  Photos/video obtained.  At least two
Ruby-throated hummers are still present also.

A steady drizzle this afternoon was a delight for the
birds, and they were the most active I've seen them in
a long time.  The yard was alive with them, and I
spent most of the afternoon going from window to
window enjoying them as they fluttered in the puddles
and against the dripping foliage.   What a relief it
must be from the dry weather.  Fifty-four species were
observed in the yard with the following highlights:

Appr. 150 high-flying DC Cormorants headed south
Merlin  fly-over headed south
Pewee
Brown Creeper
Winter Wren
R-c Kinglet
Blue-headed Vireo
White-eyed Vireo
Tn Warbler
Magnolia
Yellow-rumped
Black-throated Green
Palm
Ovenbird
C Yellowthroat
Swamp Sparrow

Sometimes it's real nice to just stay at home.

dave