[birdky] Red-shouldered hawk

  • From: "Jordan Davis" <warriah@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:24:16 -0600

Spotted a red-shouldered hawk this evening in the Drakesborough neighborhood
off Cemetery Rd in Bowling Green.  I was on my way home from the vet's, so I
had to grab my bins and drive back down the road!!  That'll teach me to not
carry my bins around!

The adult was perched in a tree in someone's front yard and was surrounded
by song birds (didn't get a good look, was focusing on the hawk).  After I
got him in focus for a few seconds, he looked at me and flew off to another
perch.  I followed to get another look (I couldn't ID him from the first few
seconds), and he looked right at me again before going off to another!  Last
time around, I parked in a driveway of a vacant house and looked around.
Heard an abundant amount of chipping, etc, from junco's et al coming from a
row of pines.  Walked closer to see what all was hanging out and what all
the fuss was about when the hawk flew right out in front of me and
disappeared from sight!  I imagine he was tired of me trying to guess what
he was!

Definitely a red-shouldered!  It was quite exciting to see hanging around
the neighborhood.

Believe I saw an accip. (cooper's or sharpie) fly away from the same area as
the original perch site.  Wish I had my bins with me!!  Although, the rats
in the car might not have appreciated the pro-longed stop near raptors!

-Jordan
Bowling Green, KY