[birdky] Red River Gorge

  • From: "Marsh, Scott" <SMarsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <BirdKY@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:40:23 -0400

Hiking both days this weekend turned up some nice birds. Rhonda and I
had a number of BLUE-HEADED VIREOS with 1 RED-EYED and 1
YELLOW-THROATED. We had 2 blue-headed singing. While I am on the singing
note, I also had a RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET singing, and a pair of
GOLDEN-CROWNED displaying the crowns to each other and hopping around
like it was spring. Both Kinglets were abundant. The only warbler we had
was PINE WARBLERS, but they were abundant also. We had 2 RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCH, and 2 WINTER WRENS.
I also had a BEWICK'S WREN. The last I saw was also in the gorge 4-5
years ago in the fall. I will have to spend some time in the summer
looking for these fellows there.
Scott, lexington