[birdky] Recent Henderson Co. FOS and other notes.

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 23:27:46 -0500

 All are First of Seasons:

4/1
Louisiana Waterthrush 2 at Gentle Pond

4/11
Eastern Kingbird near Gentle Pond
N. Parula near Gentle Pond
Barn Swallows near intersection of 268 & 136.

4/15
Great Egret 1 at Pond Creek Marsh
Prothonotary Warbler at Gentle Pond

4/17
Green Heron at Hardy Slough
Spotted Sandpiper at Pond Creek Marsh

4/22
Great-crested Flycatcher at Gentle Pond
White-eyed Vireo near Shorebird Unit
Palm Warbler at Gentle Pond

4/23
Black-crowned Night-heron 2 near Shorebird Unit
Red-eyed Vireo at Grassy Pond/Powell's Lake Unit
Black & White Warbler at Gentle Pond
Worm-eating Warbler at Jenny Hole Unit
Yellow-warbler at Grassy Pond/Powell's Lake Unit
Com. Yellowthroat at Gentle Pond
Indigo Bunting at Gentle Pond

Other bird notes:

Yellow-rump Warblers still hanging around getting into full breeding plumage.
First two days I have not seen any Dark-eyed Juncos was 4/22 & 4/23.
I have not seen any Winter Wrens or Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers in a week or so.
No Brown Creepers for 2 weeks.
Mallards are getting scarce as well as Shovelers.
Blue-winged Teal are now the most common duck.
Wison's Snipe getting really scarce.
A covey of those strange rusty Quail was sighted on the 17th: about a dozen of them.

Today (the 23rd) I spotted a white Turkey across a field at Jenny Hole Unit. From the distant photos zoomed in it appears to have some dark edges to the upper-wing coverts

After the FOS Great Egret of 4/15, I saw 2 on the 17th, 3 on the 22nd, and 12 today (the 23rd); all at Pond Creek Marsh accessed from Gentle Pond area.

Site notes:

The water level is up in all sloughs and ponds due to the recent rains.
Shorebird unit today was to deep except for several yellowlegs at the edges.
Horseshoe Road slough has more water but nothing noted.
It really needs the Ohio to flood to get any results for shorebirds. Even if it flooded now there are lots of weeds growing.

Charlie
Henderson Co.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BIRDKY List Manager: Gary Ritchison, Richmond, KY