[birdky] Re: Real Birders will understand...

  • From: Lyneart <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 05:47:28 -0500

Steve,
        I completely understand your frustration. I heard a Bewick's Wren
calling in Nashville one time. I had not heard one in years at the time, and
haven't heard one since. I'd rather not say what I was in the middle of when I
heard that wren, but it would not have been wise to comment on it the moment it
happened.
Frank Lyne near Dot in Logan County

On Sep 9, 2012, at 1:21 PM, Debby & Steve Tyson wrote:

> I had a frustrating birding experience on Thursday and no other birders to
> share it!  My job takes me to Memphis TN occasionally to lead training
> sessions, on one of the upper floors of one of the taller buildings in
> center city.  These trips are a trial for this country boy, who is far more
> comfortable in a Kentucky field or woodlot.  Anyway, on Thursday morning, I
> was in a conference room on the south side, with a view of the barges
> navigating the Mississippi and the roof tops of adjacent buildings.  At
> about mid-morning, I was working through my training presentation, facing
> the group of a half dozen people who had their backs to the windows with the
> view that I just described.when a bird soared past at about eye level.  It
> first registered mentally as a Rock Dove (after all, I was in the middle of
> town) with flat wings, though another glance registered robust falcon.  It
> soared out of view and I'd made it through about two more sentences, when my
> suppressed birder brain, whispered "Peregrine?"  I immediately lost my train
> of thought and I think the group must have thought I'd had a momentary
> seizure.  Needless to say I was distracted thereafter and probably didn't do
> very good job through the rest of the session.  I got another brief glimpse
> of the bird later, but not enough to be confident of what it was.
> I know Peregrines are increasing in numbers but are not yet common.  I guess
> it's possible that's what I saw, but does anyone know of a source that may
> know of the presence on Peregrines in Memphis this year?
>
> S. Tyson, Adairville (Schochoh), Logan Co., KY
>

> ================NOTES TO SUBSCRIBERS==============
>
> When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
> your first and last name and your address (city or county).
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>
> To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
> birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Visit the KOS website at
> http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm