[birdky] RPT:Big Black Mountain musings;Least Flycatcher, Blackburnian, Cerulean and Canada Warblers

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 18:41:34 -0400

After driving to Cumberland Gap to spend the night Friday, I woke up and drove
to Big Black Mountain via VA-58 through Big Stone Gap.  A late start and
getting turned around in Jonesville, caused me to have less time, but
regardless I saw or heard every species I was hoping to find except
Golden-winged Warbler and Black-billed Cuckoo which are probably more uncommon
than other species.   All in all a good day birding an area I should have
visited years ago, and still made it home by 8:40.
Location:     Black Mountain-gravel pullout 1 mile from summit on 160
Observation date:     6/5/10
Notes:     thought i heard a hummingbird briefly, but wasn't sure if it was an
alarm call from a chipmunk, and was having problems moving at 45 miles per hour
deciding if I was hearing Black-and-White Warbler or a variation on a redstart
Number of species:     11

Downy Woodpecker     1
Eastern Wood-Pewee     1
Red-eyed Vireo     2
Wood Thrush     1
American Robin     2
Black-throated Blue Warbler     3     a pair with a rival male chasing
Black-throated Green Warbler     1
Cerulean Warbler     1     I was happy to encounter this as I did not expect to
see one at the summit
American Redstart     1
Hooded Warbler     1
Scarlet Tanager     2     a pair

 Location:     Big Black Mountain-summit
Observation date:     6/5/10
Notes:     at one point 2 people joined me momentarily from Virginia to watch a
Chestnut-sided Warbler, even though one was a birdwatcher and knew nothing of
the high-elevation specialties of the area they were uninterested in what I had
to say about the birding possiblities
Number of species:     22

Wild Turkey     3     fledglings flushed off the side of the road and thought
maybe grouse until a long turkey neck popped out to see what had scared the
babies
Turkey Vulture     1
Downy Woodpecker     3
Eastern Wood-Pewee     1
Least Flycatcher     25     a lot of calling birds mostly male some exhibiting
courting, fighting and possibly even begging behavior
Blue-headed Vireo     4     one bird seen the rest heard only
Red-eyed Vireo     35     good to hear so many, nice challenge to find
blue-headed vireos with all the other ones sounding off
Blue Jay     2
Veery     12     one pair was observed, moving together and 2 seen that were
silent and 8 others heard singing, beautiful and haunting
American Robin     8
Cedar Waxwing     8     observed singly and in pairs
Chestnut-sided Warbler     15     probably very conservative, calling somewhere
nearby in multiple directions at all times-several times a male would be
replaced by a rival while looking through binocs
Black-throated Blue Warbler     7     several variations on song were heard
Blackburnian Warbler     3     1 pair was observed a male carrying nesting
material/food while following female very closely
American Redstart     3     not particularly common
Ovenbird     10     singing everywhere
Canada Warbler     1     only heard a couple of times
Eastern Towhee     6
Dark-eyed Junco     7     1 pair and several males singing and sounding off
alarm calls when I approached- may have heard begging juveniles but hard to
tell with other birds nesting nearby
Scarlet Tanager     8     1 pair, and 4 males singing
Rose-breasted Grosbeak     7     all singing, a few seen
Indigo Bunting     5I forgot to enter a pair of Barred Owls that were calling
downslope in the midafternoon.

Good Birding,
Michael Autin
Louisville, KY