[birdky] RPT: weekend birding Louisville, Chamberlain Lane; Merlin

  • From: michael autin <napkinarmstrong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 01:42:29 -0500

I did a few hours here and there birding over the weekend.  On Friday the sole
highlight of a dismal trip to Jefferson Memorial Forest was a hen Wild Turkey
out near the road pecking at some unusually bright green grass.  I then spent
Saturday afternoon birding Chamberlain Lane and blew my best birds in the first
20 minutes of being there.  After that things got really slow.  Other than that
I had a few Red-shouldered Hawks enroute and a calling Barred Owl again behind
my old apartment!

Location: chamberlain lane-schuler lane uplands
Observation date: 2/6/10
Number of species: 35

Canada Goose 150
Mallard 56
Great Blue Heron 1
Black Vulture 2
Turkey Vulture 2
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Merlin 1 It was perched pretty far away and I did not have a scope but the
build, coloration and finally extensive dark tail with thin white bands as it
flew cinched it.
Killdeer 1
Mourning Dove 180
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Blue Jay 8
American Crow 12
Horned Lark 130
Carolina Chickadee 4
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Carolina Wren 1
Eastern Bluebird 12
American Robin 345
Northern Mockingbird 3
European Starling X
American Tree Sparrow 65 feeding by the side of the road near the corner of
Chamberlain and Schuler
Savannah Sparrow 2 I got photos of this cooperative bird, first ones I've ever
gotten of them.
Song Sparrow 1
White-throated Sparrow 5
Dark-eyed Junco 3
Lapland Longspur 35 2 flocks numbering a little under 20 apiece never landed
and only showed briefly, but appeared to be purely made up of longspurs. I am
still learning but I did not detect any bunting calls.
Northern Cardinal 12
Eastern Meadowlark 6
Brown-headed Cowbird 8
House Finch 6