[birdky] RPT: Winter roost sites shown by radar

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "'birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 08:20:40 -0500

I was just checking the radar this morning and happened to catch some winter
roost rings show up at dawn on the Louisville NWS web site:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS.p19r0/si.klvx.shtml

Several interesting roosts are documented there, two of which I am already
familiar:

1) the Meade County American Robin roost that Eddie Huber and I followed
roosting robins to a week or so ago is very obvious.

2) an American Robin/blackbird/starling roost that Barbara Woerner has
mentioned several times is also quite obvious leaving the vicinity of the
Watterson X-way and I-64 in eastern Jefferson County.

3) The Paducah radar also shows the southern Illinois roost that accounts
for tens of thousands of blackbirds on the Ballard County count.

On the Louisville site, another very large roost is shown to be present in
west-central Hardin County. I wonder if this is American Robins, blackbirds,
or both???

Really interesting stuff ....

bpb, Louisville