[birdky] RPT: West KY Dec 6-7, 2003

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:35:20 -0500

Ben Yandell and I went west looking for a few annual list birds. Matt
Stickel's early Sat AM Long-tailed Ducks couldn't be passed up, but as
reported earlier, they were gone by 10:00 a.m. EST. We did go by the Golden
Eagle area, though, and got a male Purple Finch and Golden Eagle (1 adult or
near adult up high) and heard a flock of Sandhill Cranes.

The bird of the day on Sat was at Lake Peewee at Madisonville, where the
calm lake made for great afternoon viewing.  A nice basic plumaged Eared
Grebe was in the company (and same scope view) of several Horned and
Pied-billed Grebes. The lake was also hosting a few Common Loons, three
common spp of gulls, and a good variety of waterfowl (10 spp -- nothing
rare).

On Sunday, we spent part of the morning with Hap's BBC/KOS group, but
happened to time a stop at Boyd's Landing a bit better than them, getting
nice looks at an ad Lesser Black-backed Gull.  As Hap mentioned, gulls are
really lacking with Bonies still nearly outnumbering Ringers.  A number of
stops in and around the lakes yielded maybe 50+ American White Pelicans, 15
spp of waterfowl (all commoners -- best was ONE Greater Scaup and a few
Green-wg Teal), several Bald Eagles and a singing Eastern Phoebe (our best
and only flycat . . . we couldn't seem to manage a Vermilion).  In the late
afternoon, we met back up with Hap (who had "gulled" her field trip
participants into submission . . . studying age plumages of Ringers only
goes so far, doesn't it Hap :o). The three of us scanned a rippled Kentucky
Lake south of Ky Dam Village St Pk for an hour or so and were finally
rewarded with distant and brief, but definitive, looks at a Red-throated
Loon. Other sightings from northern Ky Lake included 75+ Horned Grebes,
maybe up to 10 Common Loons, and 200-250 Common Goldeneyes.

bpb, Louisville
brainard.palmer-ball AT ky.gov