[birdky] RPT: Waterfowl at Louisville, 3/5/2008

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 14:47:18 -0500

I made a brief swing by the Ohio River at Louisville yesterday
afternoon; ran into Carl Bochmann and we did a quick run up River Road
as far as the Water Company basins. The river has jumped up to 5-7 feet
above pool with Wednesday's rain and is very muddy and swift. The most
productive spots were the main basin above the Falls, the flooded
cornfield along River Road across from Limestone Bay marina (great spot
for dabbler/Redhead viewing), and Water Company basin along Mayfair
Drive.

Canada Goose (a few scattered)
Wood Duck (several)
American Wigeon (several)
American Black Duck (2+ in basin)
Mallard (scattered)
Northern Shoveler (several)
Northern Pintail (ca. 5 pair)
Green-winged Teal (several)
Canvasback (2)
Redhead (40+)
Ring-necked Duck (scattered)
Greater Scaup (1 in the basin)
Lesser Scaup (75+ in basin)
White-winged Scoter (2 still in basin)
Bufflehead (20+ mostly in basin)
Common Goldeney (4 in basin)
Hooded Merganser (1 in basin)

Also about 6 Bonaparte's Gulls off Cox's Park.

bpb, Frankfort