[birdky] RPT: Warren County

  • From: "geraldrobe" <geraldrobe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:49:29 -0500

Saw/heard a Grasshopper Sparrow on my Father's farm in Anna today.

The farm also seems to have been invaded by House Wrens--I don't recall having
seen this species on the farm before, but there are at least 3 nest boxes that
have wrens going in and out. They were singing up a storm in the yard all day!

Dad has Eastern Bluebirds in another box in the front yard, and Carolina
Chickadees in the back.

This is the first year in a while that Dad's had anything other than House
Sparrows in his nest boxes, and there don't seem to be as many House Sparrows
around as in previous years (I've only seen 1 or 2 today, vs. being the
predominate bird in the yard). I'm happy about their absence, but wondering
what's happened to them. The only thing that I can think of is that Dad has not
been filling his feeders as often this summer; maybe they've gone off to find
greener pastures!