[birdky] RPT: Sinclair WMA, November 20, 2003

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:12:30 -0500

Mark Monroe with assistance from Shawchyi Vorisek, Beth Ciuzio, Wayne
Tamminga and myself did some banding on the Sinclair WMA, Muhlenberg Co.
yesterday, November 20th.  Our main target was more Le Conte's Sparrows off
S5 and we captured 3, 1 from our October 29th banding effort and 2 new ones.
There are now 4 birds banded along S5.  Sometime in late winter/early
spring, we will attempt to recapture birds in this area to establish
overwintering and hopefully we will get a return(s) in 2004-2005.

Other highlights from the WMA and adjacent Paradise Plant impoundments
yesterday included the following: 2 Common Loons, 1 Red-breasted Merganser,
1 juv. dark morph western Red-tailed Hawk (nice study of an infrequently
reported age-plumage), 5 Sandhill Cranes, 12+ Least Sandpipers, 2 Dunlin,
10-12 Short-eared Owls (observed with the Preston and Shari Forsythe at dusk
from jct S1/S2), Sedge Wren (at least 4 heard and 1 seen); Marsh Wren (2
singing -- good work MM!), onesies and twosies of flyover American Pipits
(several times) and Lapland Longspurs (4 times -- they must be moving well
now), at least 4 American Tree Sparrows (our first of the fall), and at
least 4 Fox Sparrows (one in the hand and banded).

We also heard three species of frogs enjoying the warm day and saw 10
species of butterflies still on the wing.

bpb, Louisville
brainard.palmer-ball AT mail.state.ky.us