[birdky] RPT: Reformatory Lake, Oldham County

  • From: "Ben Yandell" <by@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BiRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 18:51:09 -0500

Mary and I went to Reformatory Lake late this morning.  Matt Stickel had had
the same idea, arriving not long after we did.

Highlight was a Merlin that harassed a coursing Northern Harrier and then
zipped a great distance and caught what we believe was a Savannah Sparrow.
The Merlin then cooperatively flew to a near branch on our side of the lake
(Wendell Moore Park parking lot) and ate the entire sparrow.  Watching the
Merlin calmly swallow a whole sparrow leg and foot was . interesting.

Other birds of interest with rough estimates of numbers:

.         Merlin

.         N. Harrier

.         Bald Eagle - 2 (juv. put the Canada Geese into flight; adult was
seen soaring near the Luther Luckett Correctional Complex)

.         Cackling Goose - at least 3 for certain; wouldn't surprise me if
there were a dozen mixed in with the Canada Geese (hundreds; did not try to
estimate number; mostly scattered around in adjacent fields until the Bald
Eagle flew through)

.         Mute Swan - assuming it's wild, since I did not observe it there a
few weeks ago

.         Gadwall 15

.         American Black Duck 5

.         Mallard 8

.         N. Shoveler 100+

.         N. Pintail 5

.         Green-winged Teal 6

.         Canvasback

.         Ring-necked Duck 25

.         Lesser Scaup 10

.         Hooded Merganser - 8; seemed to be mostly in pairs

.         Ruddy Duck 6

.         Pied-billed Grebe 3

.         Am. Coot 30

.         Horned Lark

Stopped by Chamberlain and Schuler Lanes, but saw only Horned Larks (50?).

Ben and Mary Yandell

Louisville

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm