[birdky] RPT: Recent sightings ....

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "'birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 17:23:26 -0500

November 25, 2005: With assistance from Amy, we captured Janet Howard's
Rufous Hummingbird, which was an adult male. Interestingly, the bird had
already been banded in southwest Indiana at Princeton (45 miles to the
northwest) 10 days earlier! It had been last seen at that feeder on the
20th, and showed up at Janet's on the 23rd! After we caught the bird, it
came right back to the feeder and then went out and sat in some shrubbery in
the yard, but Janet did not see it again; he must have been on the move
again!

Nov 25/25, 2005: Sauerheber Unit Sloughs WMA ... there were lots of
waterfowl present, but most are still making their way through the corn back
on the WMA and are not much out along KY 268 yet. Counted in the area were
about 1000 Mallards, 200 Greater White-fronted Geese, at least 200 Northern
Shovelers, 150+ American Wigeon, and lesser numbers of Gadwall, Northern
Pintail, Green-wg Teal, etc. Passerine highlights on the 26th included a
Common Yellowthroat at the swamp north of Audubon State Park, and a Palm
Warbler and 2 Amer. Tree Sparrows at Sauerheber.

Of non-avian interest to those who have tromped across Hardy Slough at the
WMA would be the evidence of the passage of the mid-November "Evansville" F3
tornado before it crossed the Ohio River! The twister came off the bluff to
the south of Hardy Slough and struck the woods to the south of the main dam,
crossing diagonally across the southeastern portion of Hardy Slough and into
the woods to the east, crossing KY 268 just east of Hardy Slough ... !wow!
... what a show of the power is on display!

Nov 26, 2005: Lake Peewee ... many waterfowl but nothing rare; highlights
included 10-12 Horned Grebes, 14+ No. Shovelers, 14 Green-wg Teal, 100+
Gadwall, 7 Redheads, 40 Canvasbacks, 100+ Ring-necked Ducks, 15+ Bufflehead,
a female Common Goldeneye, and 150+ Ruddy Ducks.

December 1, 2005: Jon Dunn and I got nice looks at three Golden Eagles at
Bernheim Forest, 2 adults and a juvenile. One of the adults was dropping
into ridgetop trees and breaking off small branches, which it would then
carry up into the sky and play with, dropping and catching several times.
This is a behavior that Mark Monroe and I witnessed early last winter, as
well.

December 2, 2005: Jon and I started the day in western McCracken County,
getting wonderful looks at the Spotted Towhee previously reported by Scott
Record. Scott has scattered some cracked corn at the pullout along Bethel
Church Road where the bird has been seen consistently the past two winters,
and it came right in to the corn! Also seen flying over Bethel Church Road
in the vicinity of this spot the evening before at dusk were 4 American
Woodcocks. We then went south to western Fulton County, where we met Nancy
Moore. Highlights in the lower Hickman bottoms were 500 Greater
White-fronted Geese, 2 adult Ross's Geese, 7 Snow Geese, 1 apparent hybrid
Greater White-fronted x Blue Goose, a couple of small, but non-Cackling
Canada Geese (B. c. parvipes?) at the Long Point tower and at least 100
Lapland Longspurs and a flock of at least 4-6 and probably 10-12 Western
Meadowlarks, with some rattles and song heard. On a disappointing note, Lake
No. 9 is completely dry for the first time in several years :o(

We then went south into Tennessee, but missed most of the target species
save the Elora, TN, Black-throated Sparrow on the morning of the 3rd. For
those who haven't kept track, in the last approx. 12-14 months (according to
my oftentimes feeble recollection), Tennessee has had the following western
vagrant passerines: MacGillivray's Warbler, Sage Thrasher, Townsend's
Warbler, Vermilion Flycatcher, Townsend's Solitaire, Say's Phoebe, and
Black-throated Sparrow, not to mention a Broad-tailed Hummingbird! What a
state-listing bonanza!

bpb, Louisville