[birdky] RPT: Probable Glossy Ibis and shorebirds in Union County

  • From: brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 07:34:42 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I birded the former Camp Mines complex in Union County yesterday. Over the
years I have never happened to come across a Plegadis ibis in Kentucky, but
yesterday I finally overcame that jinx. An adult Plegadis that looked like it
was a good Glossy was feeding on one of the ponds. I got some pictures and will
post on KOS Flickr site sometime this weekend for any comments on the ID.

Also present were 18 species of shorebirds including 20 American
Golden-Plovers, 1 Sanderling, 4 Baird's Sandpipers, 1 Western Sandpiper, 15-20
Stilt Sandpipers, 20 Buff-breasted Sandpipers, 3 Short-billed Dowitchers, 1
Long-billed Dowitcher, and 1 Wilson's Phalarope. Early dabbling ducks included
a few Green-winged Teal, Northern Shovelers, and Northern Pintails with the
Canada Geese, Mallards, and Blue-winged Teal. At some point in the afternoon
the ibis disappeared, but I'm not sure if it left or was just hidden somewhere.

Some years ago when I was with state government, I was able to obtain access to
these restricted coal slurry ponds. I have been able to maintain enough of a
relationship with the coal company and private landowners to continue to visit
on an occasional basis. One of the two sites is on an active coal processing
facility and is especially regulated in terms of access. The second, and
currently more interesting, series of ponds is now privately owned. I am going
to contact the landowners and see if it might be possible to take in impromtu
field trip in there, maybe next weekend. I'm sure there will be dove hunting
aplenty there this weekend (which is one reason why I went yesterday). If I can
secure permission for a trip, I will post it to birdky. We did that a number of
years ago, but it was then Peabody Coal Company property.

bpb, Louisville

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm