[birdky] RPT: Mostly Todd County, a little Logan County, all common birds

  • From: "Mark & Tommie Gail Bennett" <benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 18:43:25 -0600

02 March 2008:

Birding in Southwest Logan County and Southern Todd County, at local water
spots, including transient ponds, pools, and wet spots, produced the
following species this afternoon:

Canada Goose, 74 in 3 groups of birds, all in Todd County
Wood Duck, 2 in small stream in Todd County
Gadwall, 2 at Sunaker Road Pond, Todd
American Wigeon, 4 at Sunaker Road Pond, Todd
American Black Duck, 2 in Logan
Mallard, 63 in 3 groups of birds including both counties
Ring-billed Duck, 7 at Sunaker Road Pond, Todd
Hooded Merganser, 5 in Logan
Least Sandpiper, 14 at Guthrie Swamp NE Corner in Todd
Wilson's Snipe, 33 at 3 locations in Todd
Northern Harrier, 1 at Guthrie Swamp NE Corner in Todd
American Pipit, 1 at Guthrie Swamp South Basins in Todd

The weather was nice and warm, but it was very windy, interfering with nice
views of the birds.  All of these locations were private property and
birding was from the road at all sites.  Luckily, we are still rural and
have rural traffic issues.  In most cases, I was the only car on the road.

I was hoping for Tree Swallows, but saw none. Nevertheless, the weather was
spring-like making for a pleasant afternoon.

That concludes this report.

Mark Bennett
113 Iroquois Circle
Russellville, KY  42276