[birdky] RPT: Henderson/Union counties

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 21:08:04 -0400

Ben Yandell and I braved the sweltering conditions to bird in Henderson and
Union counties yesterday, July 6, 2003.

First we drove around to the IN side of the river below Evansville to see if
we might spy the Vanderburg County Western Kingbirds cross into KY airspace.
We did have luck finding one of the two birds feeding in the soybean field
they seem to be frequenting, but could not find the other bird, the nest
site, or the one bird coming anywhere near tantalizingly close to KY.

We then went to Union County where most of the same birds I have reported
previously were seen including the female Gadwall still with two quickly
growing ducklings, a Common Moorhen, two broods of Blue-winged Teal, a few
Least Sandpipers, and calls/songs of BOTH species of Cistothorus wrens, 1
Marsh and 2 Sedge.

Up at Sauerheber in Henderson County, the newly created "shorebird" area
hosted a Solitary, 11 Lesser Yellowlegs, 25-30 Killdeer, and a few Least
Sandpipers. On other holes of water in western Henderson County we located a
few nice groups of shorebirds, but mostly all Killdeer and Least Sandpipers.
One drying wet spot hosted at least 88 Killdeer and 80 Least Sandpipers. Our
day total for the latter was about 135!

bpb, Louisville
brainard.palmer-ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx