[birdky] RPT: Henderson County 4-19-2003

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:24:33 -0400

I had to miss last week's trip to Henderson County, so I went down there on
my own last Saturday.  The day started off nicely with the discovery (at
least to me) of a new Bald Eagle nest right in the middle of the 162 Great
Blue Heron nests in the swamp north of Audubon State Park!  A few of the
Great Blues are bold enough to remain nesting in adjacent trees, but there
are definitely more nests to the NE this year.  A stop by this site is worth
a few minutes if you are in the area. Most of the Great Blues seem to be
incubating, as are the eagles, which apparently got a late start.

In and around Sloughs WMA in the western part of the county, I probably
encountered the same 8 spp of shorebirds that had been reported the previous
week.  Yellowlegs were in vogue with more than 225 Lessers and 65 Greaters
counted.  I love this time of year when just about every hole of water in
the area has its own resident Greater.  Dabbling ducks were still around,
but numbers were not great. I heard a number of Soras, but didn't flush any
in my limited time walking the margins of a couple of the marshes.
Pied-billeds are hooting all over the place, hoping for suitable nesting
conditions.

I got to watch an Osprey bathe in a pool along KY 268; it was quite
oblivious to everything around as it got completely soaked.

bpb, Louisville
brainard.palmer-ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx