[birdky] RPT: Garvin Brown Preserve and Rose Island Road in Prospect 12/28; Brown Thrasher and others

  • From: michael autin <mauniquity@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 22:56:15 -0500

I was staying over off Rose Island Road and decided to check out the
waterfowl in the huge pond/lake that has formed across from Noah's Ark and
also went to Garvin Brown in the rain. I spent 45 miserable minutes of
fluctuating but constant rain there constantly having to wipe my glasses
and unfog my binocs, but it paid off and just before the weather turned
dark and windy, I had a brief moment off no rain and a smidge of light. In
this moment I found within 15 feet of each other a Ruby-crowned Kinglet and
a Brown Thrasher, something I've rarely seen in this county in the same
place during winter let alone in the same winter season. These birds were
traveling with a mega-flock that contained white-throated, song, fox, and
swamp sparrows and cardinals. It might have been a hundred different birds
jumping around, but despite much searching no warblers or other out of
season neotropics. A terrible day weather wise that really paid off to
stick it out. The list:

Rose Island Road, Jefferson, Kentucky, US
Dec 28, 2015 3:45 PM - 4:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
17 species

Canada Goose 175
Gadwall 12
American Black Duck 6
Mallard 125
Green-winged Teal 6
Great Blue Heron 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Killdeer 25
Ring-billed Gull 35
Mourning Dove 2
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 2
Northern Mockingbird 1
European Starling 85
White-throated Sparrow 2
Song Sparrow 6
Northern Cardinal 3

Hays Kennedy Park-Garvin Brown Preserve, Jefferson, Kentucky, US
Dec 28, 2015 3:55 PM - 5:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
27 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 17
Mallard 8
Green-winged Teal 5
Bufflehead 1
Hooded Merganser 6
Ring-billed Gull 85
Mourning Dove 4
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 2
Carolina Chickadee 4
Tufted Titmouse 1
Carolina Wren 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
American Robin 65
Brown Thrasher 1
European Starling 45
American Tree Sparrow 16
Fox Sparrow 5
White-throated Sparrow 36
Song Sparrow 18
Swamp Sparrow 2
Eastern Towhee 1
Northern Cardinal 12
Red-winged Blackbird 35
blackbird sp. 1 based on call and silhouette in flight I would lean
towards Rusty
House Finch 2

weather is finally changing.. Hopefully some of these birds will stay
around for the remaining CBC's and possibly the new year.

Cheers and Good Birding,
Michael Autin, Louisville Kentucky