[birdky] RPT: Downtown Louisville, Ohio River and Turkey Run Park 11/21, 12/5-6; Woodcock and Hermit Thrush

  • From: michael autin <mauniquity@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 17:18:36 -0500

Several sightings over the last couple of weeks(nothing rare):

11/21 2:00am- Floyd St. and Breckenridge St.-while my friend was walking
her dogs a Woodcock flew up with distinctive whirring flight noise from a
small brush pile in an otherwise urban setting.

11/27- 11:30pm- UPS- a friend described an encounter with a live Woodcock
which she captured and let outside. At the time she misidentified it as a
Kiwi and I encountered a dead one on the walkpath on the way in.

12/5- Ohio River Indiana side-Falls of the Ohio 4:30-5:30pm- after getting
caught unknowingly in bridge ribbon-cutting traffic, I found the river
nearly devoid of life save for a female Bufflehead and a female Lesser
Scaup, also present but in Indiana were male Redhead and male Lesser
Scaup. Above the falls out in the river I found 500 strong Ring-billed
Gulls and nothing else.

12/6- Turkey Run Park 3:30-5:45pm- I finally got a chance to check out this
park. Nice diversity of habitat although I wished they'd kept a little bit
more of the alluvial brush vegetation that previously was there, which
would be good for lingering overwintering migrants- thrasher,
Orange-crowned and Palm Warblers and in some years when they are scarce
Ruby-crowned Kinglets.

Turkey Run Park (entrance area), Jefferson, Kentucky, US
Dec 6, 2015 3:30 PM - 5:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments: also includes birds seen in skydome area
26 species

Canada Goose 11
Mallard 8
Black Vulture 95