[birdky] RPT: Chimney Swifts at Falls of the Ohio/Sand Island

  • From: ddstriegel@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: BIRDKY Kentucky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 03:04:03 +0000 (UTC)

Location: Falls of the Ohio and Sand Island (KY)

Observation date:  9/30/10 (from 0930 to 1230)

Notes:  Started birding at 0930 on the observation deck and shortly after
joined by Judy Galitzine and Eddie Huber.  Naturalist Bett Etenohan reported an
adult bald eagle perched on the dam at 0900.

See remarks on the Chimney Swifts...my estimate was conserative.  How do count
swifts when they fly so eratic?  Most of the swifts were around Sand Island,
but hundreds were flying from the hydrodam downstream to the railroad bridge.

Number of species:     18

Canada Goose     45
Wood Duck     1
Mallard     14
Pied-billed Grebe     1
Double-crested Cormorant     25
Great Blue Heron     32
Great Egret     9
Black-crowned Night-Heron     3
Red-shouldered Hawk     2
Killdeer     35
Spotted Sandpiper     1
Greater Yellowlegs     2
Lesser Yellowlegs     2
Least Sandpiper     4 (thanks to Eddie Huber)
Pectoral Sandpiper     5
Short-billed/Long-billed Dowitcher  1 (maybe a long-billed this time of the
year? Dowitcher was 800M away)

Chimney Swift  1,200 (1,200 to 1,500 chimney swifts were observed flying above
Sand Island at 0730).  I observed the swifts from Loop Island Wetlands in
Indiana before I went to the Falls.

Belted Kingfisher     1
Palm Warbler     2     2 in KY airspace

Del Striegel