[birdky] RPT: Brewer's, and Perigrines and Pelicans oh my...

  • From: "Scott and Glenda Record" <sgrecord@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:24:00 -0500

Today was the first chance I have had to check out Ballard WMA since it opened
on the 15th.  With very high water and clear skies following the front: I
didn't expect to find much in the way of waterfowl but was pleasantly surprised
by some nice birds as the morning unfolded.  Recent heavy rain and already
flooded bottoms have put the backwater in Mitchell Lake and the only areas
accessible by road are Mitchell and Lower Beaver Dam Slough.  Sheet water is
everywhere.  Also notable were Savannah sparrows and Northern Flickers which
were very numerous.    Highlights include

Snow goose (1 with broken wing)
Canada geese   40
Wood duck  5
A. wigeon   8