[birdky] RPT: Bernheim Forest eagles

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:46:38 -0500

Mark Monroe and I figured that the clear, windy conditions yesterday
afternoon would be good for catching a glimpse or two of the Bernheim Forest
Golden Eagles. Little did we know we'd be treated to our most entertaining
eagle watching trip there ever!  We were at the best viewing area along
Harrison Fork Road for about an hour and a half, and probably for only about
5-10 minutes of the entire time did we not have an eagle in view.  In fact,
at one point we had 2 Balds (1 adult and 1 near adult [4th yr?]) and FIVE
Goldens (2 adults/near adults, 1 sub-adult [2nd yr?], and 2 juveniles) in
view at one time.  All five Goldens were even in the same binocular field of
view at one point against a deep blue sky. At least one of the adults
appeared to be engaged in some territorial or courtship behavior, diving and
climbing in steeply undulating flight similar to that of some Buteos.  In
mid-January last winter, Bernheim personnel counted 9 eagles in this area at
one time, including six Goldens.

Other birds of interest in the area included a female Purple Finch, several
Sharp-shinned Hawks, and a Fox Sparrow. The red morph E. Screech-Owl was
also at his usual roost at one of the creek crossings.

bpb, Louisville
brainard.palmer-ball AT ky.gov (for anyone wishing to update their address
book)