[birdky] Re: Quail in Henderson Slough

  • From: "Mark Monroe" <markmonroe1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 18:06:50 -0400

Unless I'm nuts, I'm pretty sure those are hybrid Northern/Masked Bobwhite.
Masked Bobwhite are a Mexican race that is seen frequently with
introduced/released birds.

The bottom male looks fairly straight forward (still retains some face
pattern of Northern Bobwhite on what appears otherwise Masked), but the
first one with the white patch in upper breast (as opposed to chin) seems to
be perhaps partially albinistic as well (not uncommon with inbred stock).

Mark Monroe
Louisville, KY