[birdky] Re: Possible Black Swan Hybrid

  • From: John Brunjes <john.brunjes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pcmcal@xxxxxxxxx" <pcmcal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 19:35:35 -0500

I received pictures of your birds from a lady in LaGrange this morning. They are unusually dark....but the bills appear to make them mutes to me. I sent them to Brainard....maybe he will comment in a bit.

John

sent from my iPhone

John H. Brunjes Ph.D
Kentucky Dept. Of Fish and Wildlife Resources
#1 Sportsman's Lane
Frankfort, KY 40601
800-858-1549

On Feb 2, 2010, at 6:38 PM, Paul McAllister <pcmcal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Fellow birders,
On Sunday, 1-31-2010 at 12:15 pm at Reformatory Lake near Buckner, KY, we observed a swan that appeared to be a juvenile hybrid black swan. It had a black neck, pinkish-black bill and a sooty black back with white flecks. It was with another swan -- mottled relatively dark gray with white and also with a pinkish-black bill. At first, we thought that both the birds were juvenile mute swans, but the black plumage on the one was so dark that we had second thoughts. Both birds had black legs and appeared to have held their necks in S shapes as do mute swans. There are two resident mute swans on the lake. The two darker swans did not associate with them and remainded together. We have returned twice to the lake, but have not seen the "dark" swans again (the resident mute swans remain). Has anyone else seen birds like these in Kentucky? --or is anyone aware of the existence of black swans in KY that may have interbred with mute swans? (According to a UK web site, hybridized black and mute swans have been recorded.)

Paul and Carol McAllister
Prospect KY
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BIRDKY List Manager: Gary Ritchison, Richmond, KY