[birdky] Pelicans and More Pelicans

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:42:26 -0700 (PDT)

The number of American White Pelicans feeding below
Barkley Dam has created quite a spectacle.  Although
this has been occurring for several years now as the
birds stage in the area during their northbound
journey, there are more birds feeding in the tailwater
than I have seen before.  This is probably somewhat
the result of lack of exposed bars on Barkley due to
the high water level.  This morning there were 550
below Barkley Dam affording fabulous close-up viewing.
 Even the locals are excited about it with many folks
taking pictures below the dam.  There were probably a
few hundred more huddled on the islands on lower
Barkley.

I had planned to check a number of sights but spent
most of my time in the area watching and photographing
these birds, they're hard to leave.  This would be a
great trip for anyone who would like to have nice
close-up views of these magnificent birds.

Also present below Barkley dam were at least 2 Lesser
Black-backed Gulls, many Bonaparte's and Ring-billeds
along with a few Herring.  There were very few birds
at Kentucky Dam including pelicans.

Waterfowl numbers at McElroy had decreased as of this
afternoon but coots were more abundant and I counted
220 Wilson's Snipe with one sweep of the scope from
the lane at the south end.  Only a few yellowlegs and
Pecs were present as were bonies, Ring-billeds, and 2
Herring Gulls.

A Merlin was observed along hwy 68 in Todd County.

David L. Roemer
Bowling Green, Ky.