[birdky] Notes From The Field

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 08:26:51 -0700 (PDT)

Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least
Baird's
Pectoral
Stilt Sandpiper (8)

BARKLEY/KUTTAWA AREA
Common Tern (~20)

BARKLEY DAM
Lesser Black-backed Gull (molting adult or near adult)
Laughing Gull (juv)

This has been an incredible year for butterflies and Common Buckeye is one of
the species that has been particularly abundant.  While scoping Ky Lake from
the Ky Dam Rec Area on this date, I noticed a continual movement of Common
Buckeyes from east to west across the lake dispersing from the Land Between the
Lakes.  A westerly breeze had them skimming the water into the headwind.  As
far as I could see up the lake there were hundreds moving across my field of
view every few seconds.  Mixed with them were a few expected late season
species which I typically see moving across the lake this time of year
including Monarch and Cloudless Sulphur.

I then scoped the lake from the Little Bear Creek boat ramp and witnessed the
same number moving across the lake for as far as I could see.  I spent a total
of about 3 hours at these 2 spots and this continued the entire time.  It was
the most remarkable insect phenomenon I've ever witnessed and the total
buckeyes that crossed Ky Lake that day likely numbered into the hundreds of
thousands.

9-9
BARREN RESERVOIR/BARREN COUNTY
Pied-billed Grebe (2)
DC Cormorant (scattered)
Great Egret (State Park and Dry Creek)
Caspian Tern (~15 scattered)
Broad-winged Hawk (2 juvs)
Eastern Screech-Owl (answered whistle at Narrows)
Vireos:
White-eyed, Yellow-throated, Warbling, Philadelphia, Red-eyed
Warblers:
Blue-winged, No Parula, Yellow, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Am Redstart, Wilson's

9-11
FULTON COUNTY/LOWER BOTTOMS
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (with white tail)
Broad-banded Water Snake

9-12
LAKE 9/FULTON
Least Sandpiper (~30)

9-13
FULTON COUNTY/LOWER BOTTOMS
Loggerhead Shrike (singing from the top of a 100' Cottonwood)
Bobolink (2)

Interesting butterflies for trip:
Broad-winged Skipper
Yehl Skipper
Duke's Skipper
Funereal Duskywing
Phaon Crescent

9-17
BARREN/DRY CREEK UNIT
Great Egret
DC Corms
Philadelphia Vireo
Warblers:
Blue-winged, Tennessee, No Parula, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Am Redstart,
Ovenbird, Northern Waterthrush
White M Hairstreak (butterfly)

BARREN STATE PARK
DC Corms
Osprey
Philadelphia Vireo
Warblers:
Blue-winged, Golden-winged (gorgeous male), Tennessee, No Parula,
Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Black-throated Green, Blackburnian, Black and White,
Am Redstart, Ovenbird, Northern Waterthrush

NARROWS
Ring-billed Gull
Bobolink

9-19
BARKLEY/LYON
Red-necked Phalarope (2 resting in the middle of the lake)
Black Tern

KY LAKE GULL ROOST
Lesser Black-backed Gull (4 adults or near adults)
Laughing Gull (3 juvs)

9-20
MISSISSIPPI RIVER/CARLISLE COUNTY
American Avocet
Black Tern (2)

9-21
FULTON COUNTY/LOWER BOTTOMS
All swallows except Bank, including Purple Martin

LAKE 9
Semipalmated Plover
Lesser Yellowlegs
Least Sandpiper (~75)

Broad-banded Water Snake at pumping station

OBION WMA/UPPER HICKMAN BOTTOMS
Bobolink

MISSISSIPPI RIVER/CARLISLE
4' Cottonmouth (Too close...this one surprised me and made me curse!)
Funereal Duskywing

Lots of Fish Crows scattered including at Ky Dam and Great Egrets at the lakes
and Mississippi River/bottoms.

And for the Cicindelaphiles, species recorded on the trip:
C. repanda
formosa generosa
scutellaris
tranquebarica