[birdky] Nesting Cormorants

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:31:55 -0700 (PDT)

Joe Tom Erwin and I spent the afternoon birding
Kentucky Lake in Calloway County. We discovered a
small rookery of Double-crested Cormorants on an
island in the Pine Bluff area containing at least
eight or nine nests with birds present. Several more
cormorants were scattered about the lake in the area.
This is the first record of cormorants nesting in
Kentucky since 1951.

A few Double-crested Cormorants were known to nest in
Great Blue Heron rookeries prior to 1951 in Fulton,
Ballard, and Henderson Counties. This species has been
seen more frequently in small numbers during recent
summers, and nesting is likely taking place at other
locations as well. Three or four years ago, I watched
a cormorant carry a stick across the lake to an island
above Barkley dam, but couldn't see a nest from my
location.

Other species of interest today were a Forster's Tern
molting into basic plumage which set a new early fall
date, and five or six Caspian Terns which are
extremely rare in Kentucky during the summer.

I wish to extend my appreciation to Joe Tom for
sharing his knowledge of the area with me. He showed
me some nice spots to view that section of that lake
from.

Dave