[birdky] Need some help

  • From: "Debi" <debi1950@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 09:43:50 -0500

Ok.. I have to ask for some help in trying to identify some ducks we saw
yesterday.  I think I have looked at every picture of a duck that I can find,
and I didn't see any that looked like them.  And of course, I didn't have a
camera with me.
I focused on the males, trying to figure them out.  I was looking at them with
my binocs.. so I could see them really well.

The males were basically black under and on the sides, bright white on the top
of the backs.  Their head and neck were a beautiful reddish, purple color..
they were large ducks, they were NOT Mallards.

They ended up flying almost over me, so I could see under them pretty well..
They seemed to be black under and maybe some white in the under wings, nearer
the tips.

The head and neck color, along with the white backs, are what drew me to them.
I thought they were Mallards at first, from where I was on the road, so I got
my binocs and went down to the pond .. my hubby  had told me he saw Mallards
and counted 15 earlier in the day, and then when I went with him, I counted 6
pairs. He didn't have binocs and just figured they were Mallards that we
frequently see on that pond.

They were really pretty, and I have searched and searched and didn't find
them.. maybe I have overlooked a picture, can anyone help?  I have never seen
them around here before.

They did fly in a "V" formation and headed north.

Thanks everyone...

debi lucas
greenup co.

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm