[birdky] Muhlenberg County/Peabody WMA Sinclair & vicinity

  • From: "Mark & Tommie Gail Bennett" <benn5609@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:55:31 -0500

18 April 2010:

Birding in this AM in and round the Peabody WMA Sinclair Unit in Muhlenberg
County this morning produced the following birds of possible interest.

At the Heron Rookery near the end of S1 were about 10 Great Blue Herons
among the about 20 nests and approximately 500 Tree Swallows.  The swallows
were overwhelming.  Along nearby S8 a small lake produced 2 Osprey, I assume
a pair.

The TVA impoundment (Jacob's Creek) yielded a Double-crested Cormorant and 2
Greater Yellowlegs.

Other species noted but not counted included:

.         Barn Swallow,

.         Blue-gray Gnatcatcher,

.         White-eyed Vireo,

.         Yellow-throated Vireo,

.         Northern Parula,

.         Yellow-throated Warbler, &

.         Prairie Warbler

A new work garage had been strategically built overlooking Goose Lake.  At
the risk of offending our friends in Fish and Wildlife, I could have picked
a less intrusive central location for this building throwing darts at a map
while blindfolded.  The guys certainly had something on their minds besides
wildlife when choosing this location for this structure.

That concludes this report.

Mark Bennett

113 Iroquois Circle

Russellville, KY  42276