[birdky] Mourning Warbler in Warren Co 9 Dec 2003

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 15:12:31 -0800 (PST)

A first fall female MOURNING WARBLER was present along
Homer Murray Road in southern Warren County this
afternoon.  It was in the company of a resident flock
of sparrows/cardinals in a large weedy, brushy area
around a dozer pile.

The bird was showing some displaced yellow feathers
through the upper surface at the bend of one wing,
which may be the result of an injury.  It flew with no
apparent sign of injury however.  I was afforded an
excellent view from only 20' for several minutes as it
fed.  Its chip note was heard a number of times during
the duration.

With the recent record of MacGillivray's Warbler in
Nashville, I studied the bird very closely.  I would
have been less surprised to see a Harris's Sparrow pop
up with the many White-crowned than a Mourning Warbler
in December.

Other highlights of the day were a female/juv Merlin
videotaped as it dined on a Horned Lark at the WKU
farm, and 4 Lapland Longspurs at McElroy (dry).

Present in the Walnut Creek area of Barren Reservoir
on 8 December were 420 Killdeer, 6 Dunlin, and 2 Least
Sandpipers.

Birds of interest recorded on 29 November included:

Brewer's Blackbird  3 at Walton's Pond

Red-tailed Hawk  light/intermediate morph calurus race
near Woodburn

White-crowned Sparrow   adult and juv of the Gambelii
race in my yard along Drakes Creek in Warren County.

dave