[birdky] Minor Clark Fish Hatchery: Plovers - Black-bellied and Golden (?)

  • From: Lana Hays <lhays2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: KY Birdlist Birdlist <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 14:12:14 -0400

I just got back from the fish hatchery. There are 2 plovers in the large pond that has been drained. I think one is a Black-bellied and the other a Golden Plover but I'm not sure. The Black-bellied was larger and all "black and white". The other one had a golden color throughout. I'm getting ready to download the images and post them. The large pond had been drained and unfortunately they are refilling it so the "shoreline" may be gone by tomorrow.......too bad as this is fantastic habitat!!! The birds are pretty tame. They like the side of the pond closest to the road. There are also Least Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs, Semipalmated Plovers, Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper, and a Semipalmated Sandpiper in the pond.

In pond #51 there are Pectoral Sandpipers, Least Sandpipers, Killdeer, and a Baird's Sandpiper.

Give me a little time to get some images posted. I just walked in the door and my son and girlfiriend met me in the driveway to announce their engagement. Priorities.....I gave a quick congrats and told them to let me post this message!!!!

Lana Hays
www.lanahays.com