[birdky] Migration banding

  • From: "Adam Smith" <raptorbio@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:19:49 +0000

Hello all,

The KY Dept of Fish and Wildlife is conducting a pilot migration banding project off the Pea Ridge loop trail behind the Salato Wildlife Education Center. Myself and others have operated mist nets occasionally (3-4 times/week) since September 18th. Aside from 5 ovenbirds, a catbird, and winter wren (9/28) captured during the last part of Sept and early Oct, we just got our first noticeable push of migrants this past week behind the cold front. Highlights are listed below. All of the warblers had moderate to heavy fat loads.

10/8
Black-throated blue (hatching-year female)
Winter wrens (2)
Brown creepers (2)
White-throated sparrow

10/10
Black-throated blue (HY male)
Hooded (adult female)
Magnolia (adult male)
Black-and-white (HY male)
Tennessee (2)
Chestnut-sided (very fat HY female)
Black-throated green (2 adult males)
Golden-crowned kinglet

10/12
Hooded (very fat adult male)
Wood thrush (HY)

Cheers,

Adam Smith
Avian Research Technician
#1 Game Farm Rd
Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone (work): 800.858.1549 x369
Phone (home): 859.559.7172

"Our life is frittered away by details...Simplify, simplify."
                                           - Henry David Thoreau

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Visit the Kentucky Ornithological Society
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BIRDKY List Manager: Gary Ritchison, Richmond, KY