[birdky] McElroy and Guthrie Eagles

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:50:16 -0700 (PDT)

Waterfowl numbers continue to drop at the transient
lakes in Warren County with Blue-winged Teal being the
most prominent species.  Aside from snipe, shorebird
numbers are still low.  The only additional shorebird
species seen today was a Solitary  Sandpiper.  A
Lapland Longspur was present this afternoon.

I've suspected that Bald Eagles were nesting near
Guthrie Swamp in Todd County for a few years given the
out-of-season sightings of adults there.  Today I
found a nest in a woodlot approximately 3/4 mile from
the water.  Both birds were present in the area with
one appearing to be incubating or brooding.

I found a very large nest in a tree line close to the
swamp this past winter and wondered if it was an
eagle's.  Steve Kistler and I saw two fuzzy heads
peaking out of it last week but distance prevented
IDing them.  Today I saw a Great Horned Owl on that
nest.

David L. Roemer
Bowling Green, Ky.