[birdky] Juncos and Doves

  • From: "Millie" <kymillie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <Birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 10:32:32 -0500

Since the snow started, the main birds at our feeders are juncos. I just
counted 10-12 (wish they would stay still) in the pear tree with the thistle
feeder and suet cake (right next to the family room window). Have never had
this many before. They have always been ground feeders until this year, but
even before the snow started, they would get on the above feeders, as well as
the others.

We always have a big population of doves. Until about 3 yrs ago, they too had
been ground feeders, but now get up into all our feeders, eating everything,
including my safflower seed. They even get up in the sunflower feeder that is
attached to the family room window and sit there and peer at us. They are very
territorial and will scare off the other birds, certainly not in keeping with
their being a symbol of peace. :-)

Millie Farmer
St. Matthews, KY