[birdky] Re: Is this true?

  • From: "Mark Monroe" <markmonroe1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:24:56 -0500

The premise is certainly plausible as birds can get drunk off a number
of sources, although the berries were undoubtedly fermented prior to
being eaten in that particular story.

One of the better stories my father liked to tell involved a
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that he picked up on UL's campus on his way
to teach his ornithology class.  The bird was quite tipsy, apparently
from fermented sap.  He placed the bird on his shoulder, and proceeded
to teach his ornithology class, without saying a word about it.  The
class of course thought it was stuffed and just a prop...at least
until it came to near the end of class creating quite a stir among his
students. :)  After this, the bird was taken outside and immediately
flew off, seemingly ok but probably with one large headache.

Mark Monroe