[birdky] Re: Hummingbirds

  • From: Lisa Muvich <lmuvich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tim.Houghton@xxxxxxx, SCLGEOGRAPHER@xxxxxxx, dctichenor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:02:52 -0700 (PDT)

I'm noticing the same thing. I've got at least 5 that constantly compete for
the feeder. There may be more but they're moving so darn fast it's hard to keep
track of which ones I counted. I stood motionless on my deck last night and got
to stand in the middle of the fray getting some really close looks at these
amazing creatures as they whizzed by me.

  For the first time, I actually have two birds drinking from a feeder at the
same time. That has never happened at my feeders. I've only seen pictures of
such occurrences.

  Lisa (Boone County, Northern Kentucky)

"Houghton, Tim" <Tim.Houghton@xxxxxxx> wrote:
        I missed the earlier part of this conversation, so I don't know the
context. Nevertheless, I thought I'd mention that I've had wonderful hummer
activity in my backyard. I've had up to 10 hummers--had to add a couple of
feeders b/c of my own anxiety watching them compete. It's an all-day, non-stop
show. Sometimes I'll see 2-3 engage in lovely, balletic, slow-motion mirror
dances with each other in the vicinity of a feeder. I've never seen anything
quite like it.

  Tim
  Richmond