[birdky] Hopkins CO Poison update

  • From: "Eileen Wicker" <raptors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bird ky'" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:06:24 -0500

USFW says this looks like grackles were the target. They collected
260 grackles yesterday, six more hawks and had 3 more hawks that
flew off but were definitely impaired. They have some landowners
of interest down there. They still believe it is Warbex and when
they called today they were sure my hawks would all be dead, but
actually they are doing fantastic. F&W was just amazed-as am I
because these birds could not stand, could not hold their heads up
and were in pretty bad shape. This morning they were very
aggressive and so I am trying to track down someone with poison
experience to tell me if this is possibly a side effect of this
particular toxin. I get very few poisonings so need to find out
more about what indicates what.  I believe Warbex is an OP and
usually you have seizures and eyes rolling with that, none of
these birds exhibited that symptom.

They did have the state as well as the EPA down there.

Eileen

Eileen Wicker

Raptor Rehabilitation of KY Inc.

(502) 491-1939