[birdky] Henderson & Union Co. sites

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:44:01 -0600

I made an effort to get to the Sloughs WMA just after dawn to check on
the Tundra Swans.
Just as I suspected there were more at Wood Tract south: 27.
Later in the morning I passed there again and the count was down to 9.
As last year they disperse sometime in the morning.
New birds (highlights):
a Raft on the Ohio River of Ring-necked Ducks, Buffleheads, and
Canvasbacks.
Horned Grebe at Uniontown Dam.

Sloughs WMA -268 Winter Drive from Muddy Slough to 268 slough,
Henderson, US-KY
Nov 17, 2011 6:35 AM - 7:10 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
25 species

Greater White-fronted Goose  X
Snow Goose  X
Canada Goose  X
Tundra Swan  27
Gadwall  X
American Wigeon  X
Mallard  X
Northern Shoveler  X
Green-winged Teal  X
Pied-billed Grebe  X
Bald Eagle  3
Northern Harrier  2
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  2
American Coot  X     Big influx of Coots overnight
Killdeer  X
Wilson's Snipe  2
Mourning Dove  X
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  X
Blue Jay  X
American Crow  X
Eastern Bluebird  X
Northern Cardinal  X
Red-winged Blackbird  X

Uniontown Dam (John T. Myers Lock & Dam, Union, US-KY
Nov 17, 2011 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
21 species

Bufflehead  2
Horned Grebe  1
Double-crested Cormorant  X
Great Blue Heron  2
Turkey Vulture  X
Bald Eagle  1
Ring-billed Gull  X
Rock Pigeon  X
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  X
Downy Woodpecker  X
Northern Flicker  1
American Crow  X
Horned Lark  X
Tufted Titmouse  X
White-breasted Nuthatch  X
Carolina Wren  X
American Robin  X
Red-winged Blackbird  X
Common Grackle  X
American Goldfinch  X

Uniontown, Union, US-KY
Nov 17, 2011 9:05 AM - 9:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
12 species

Double-crested Cormorant  X
Great Blue Heron  X
American Coot  X
Bonaparte's Gull  X
Ring-billed Gull  X
Herring Gull  X
Eurasian Collared-Dove  2
Mourning Dove  X
American Crow  X
Northern Mockingbird  X
European Starling  X
House Sparrow  X

Uniontown - Mt. Vernon Rd. (Union Co.), Union, US-KY
Nov 17, 2011 7:40 AM - 7:45 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Large raft of birds on the Ohio River along Uniontown/
Mt. Vernon Rd.
3 species

Canvasback  X
Ring-necked Duck  X