[birdky] Fw: Vickie Henderson - East TN albino RTHummingbird

  • From: "Ce Ci" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "thefarsidefarm" for DMARC)
  • To: BIRDKY Freelists <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 12:06:28 +0000 (UTC)

Forwarding to BirdKY these beautiful picts of albino hummer in East TN.  And
the related mention about an albino RTH in the vicinity in 2013.  Incredible!
Since I don't think the following picts will come through with this post, here
is the link to check it
out:http://vickiehenderson.blogspot.com/2015/10/albino-ruby-throated-hummingbird-in.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FMSlM+%28Vickie+Henderson+Art%29
  PS - the last of the hummingbirds at my place in NW Franklin County left
about five days ago.  I wish her well... Ceci & friends atThe Far Side Farm

Vickie Henderson Art#yiv8006843146 h1 a:hover
{background-color:#888;color:#fff important;}#yiv8006843146
div#yiv8006843146emailbody table#yiv8006843146itemcontentlist tr td div ul
{list-style-type:square;padding-left:1em;}#yiv8006843146
div#yiv8006843146emailbody table#yiv8006843146itemcontentlist tr td div
blockquote {padding-left:6px;border-left:6px solid
#dadada;margin-left:1em;}#yiv8006843146 div#yiv8006843146emailbody
table#yiv8006843146itemcontentlist tr td div li
{margin-bottom:1em;margin-left:1em;}#yiv8006843146
table#yiv8006843146itemcontentlist tr td a:link, #yiv8006843146
table#yiv8006843146itemcontentlist tr td a:visited, #yiv8006843146
table#yiv8006843146itemcontentlist tr td a:active, #yiv8006843146
ul#yiv8006843146summarylist li a
{color:#000099;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;}#yiv8006843146 img
{border:none;}

Vickie Henderson Art
| |

| Albino Ruby-throated Hummingbird in East TennesseePosted: 10 Oct 2015 09:20
AM PDTOn October 4th and 5th, Mark Armstrong, Master Bander of hummingbirds and
songbirds, and Janie Kading traveled from Seymour, TN, to Oliver Springs, TN,
to capture and band an albino Ruby-throated Hummingbird.  Their second trip was
successful! The young female, hatched this summer and weighing 4.1 grams is
pictured above and below in photos taken by Mark Armstrong to document her
condition.   In the image above you can see the dark red of her eye, and the
lack of pigment in her beak, normally black in coloration.  Mark explains
albinism this way:  Albinism is a sex linked recessive characteristic and
carried on the X chromosome.  In birds males are XX and females XY, so if a
female had the gene it would be expressed and if a male had the gene he could
carry it as a recessive characteristic and look normal or if he inherited the
characteristic from both parents the gene would be expressed and he would be
albino.  "I think most likely our bird was the product of two normal birds but
she would have inherited the trait from her father.  There is a lot I don’t
understand about the trait....This bird did have dark red eyes, pigment wasn’t
present in the beak or feet.  She did have dark bases to the feathers on the
back however.  In ruby-throats the trait is rare but there usually are a few
every year.  Leucistic is more common and those birds will have patches of
white or overall a faded appearance. The genetics of that trait is more complex
and involves the synthesis of melanin or turns it on or off in different areas
of the plumage.  It was 6 or 7 years ago I went after a white bird and asked
Bob Sargent for some advice and if I should try to band it.  He said sure, he
had banded 100 or so but none have ever returned."   Mark adds, "They are
pretty vulnerable.  This bird reminded me of a cicada flying with those white
wings flashing. Melanin actually strengthens the feathers so white birds tend
to have worn plumage, this bird was actually in pretty good shape.  She also
weighed 4.1 grams so had a good fat load and was preparing to head out.  I
talked with the host yesterday and she did not see the bird the following
morning."
The image above captures the fairy-like quality of the hummer's tail feathers
absent normal pigment. The absence of pigment allows feathers to wear rapidly,
as well as, makes the hummingbird more visible to predators.

In 2013, Cyndi and Steve Routledge hosted an albino Ruby-throated Hummingbird
in Clarksville, TN.  The two images below were taken by Cyndi Routledge in her
yard.
Since that time, Cyndi has also become a Master Bander and bands hummingbirds
in Middle and West Tennessee and northern Mississippi.  To see more images
visit:  Albino Ruby-throat

Links and Resources:

Visit this link to read more about Mark Armstrong and fall/winter hummingbird
banding
More about summer hummingbird banding.
Mark Armstrong, Master Bander of songbirds and hummingbirds |

| You are subscribed to email updates from Vickie Henderson Art.
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. | Email delivery