[birdky] Feederwatch in Frankfort

  • From: John Brunjes <john.brunjes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:27:24 -0500

I decided to go in to work a little late this morning so I could shoot
some pictures and see exactly why my feeders were being drained of 15+
pounds of sunflower seeds a day.  The show was pretty impressive.

Unlike Brainard....I've got finches.  Estimating numbers of
goldfinches is pretty tough....but I'm guessing there are 100+++
(based on the 2 huge flocks I had fly in).  There were also 15 purple
finches...which is down a little from a high of 34 a couple weeks ago.
 There are also 10-15 house finches mixed in.  Unfortunately.....no
siskins!!!

The number of American tree sparrows has also dramatically gone up.  I
would guess 30-50 is a reasonable estimate...but there could be more.
There are lots and lots of white-throted and song sparrows as well as
juncos.

The really impressive spectacle is the cardinals and blue jays.  I
counted 31 male cardinals at one time this morning....there was red
everywhere!!!  There are also 15-20 blue jays coming to the feeders as
well (normal for me is 2).  It was a sea of red and blue this morning
against a white backdrop!!!

John

--
John H. Brunjes