[birdky] Fall Warblers

  • From: "Marsh, Scott" <SMarsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:13:03 -0400

I know it's not fall yet, but I am confused none the less. My excursion
was for exercise, so I had no binoculars (what was I thinking). My
decision is pine warbler, but I am not happy with it. What I do know
about the bird is: strong wing bars, either white tail sides or corners,
eye line, prominent pale supercilium (creating a capped appearance), and
the auriculars did not seem dark. The bird had yellowish face and
throat, wings were darker than back. If Sibleys is correct in the
drawing of the under tail spots, then it narrows it to 3 species. Either
a first year Blackpoll (not), first year female cerulean, or some mutant
molting adult female Pine. The body actually looked like a first year
female Blackburnian (not solid on the back), but I am back to those tear
drop shaped white spots under the tail. My problem with the Pine is the
face seemed way too light and the head seemed too narrow, elongated (not
round enough). I have looked at a lot of pine warblers; later in the
year I would have never called it a pine. In any case it was in a
peculiar place; in a lone stand of trees (no pines)in the middle of a
major housing development (95% habitat disturbance over a 500 acre area)
scott