[birdky] Excellent roost rings on radar ...

  • From: <brainard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 07:04:53 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

The cool, dry air is making for excellent study of early season Purple Martin
roost rings on area NWS radars this morning.

The Glasgow roost is now formed, as is one in se. Fayette County (looks to be
down along I-75 approaching Madison County line). In fact, the three roosts
along I-75 at Lexington, London, and Williamsburg are all well-represented on
Jackson, KY radar. The Wilmington, OH, radar shows small roosts at Covington,
at Morehead, e. of Shelbyville, and ne. of Warsaw in Gallatin County (first
time I've actually seen roost at these locales). Out in west KY, the roosts at
Hickman and near Mortons Gap (southern Hopkins County) are the obvious ones.
Additional roosts are visible in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Tennessee (the
Nashville roost is always really big!).

Here is a link to Louisville NWS:
http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N0R&rid=lvx&loop=yes

I go to the bottom and check "off" the topo layer and cities layer for better
viewing. If the link does not open to a radar loop, you have to click on the
"Base Loop" on the left blue banner. You can visit adjacent radar sites by
clicking on the various directional arrows to see Indianapolis, Paducah,
Wilmington, Nashville, Evansville, Ft. Campbell, Jackson, etc. Some are not
accessible from the Louisville site but from heading back to central KY from
peripheral sites.

This is LIVE radar, so opening the links from 615 to 715 or so EDT is the only
time the rings are visible. The birds typically come in to the roosts lower in
the evenings so the reverse donuts usually don't show.

bpb, Louisville

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm