[birdky] Eurasian Collared -Dove and yard birds.

  • From: j arnold <alee04lacebark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birdky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 14:20:25 -0700 (PDT)

On April 3, we noticed an Eurasian Collared-Dove scratching along the sidewalk
under the hanging feeder area. It was only here for a few minutes but we got a
really good look at it. That is the first time we've ever seen one.
The next day there was a Cedar Waxwing in our backyard ash tree. They usually
nest here. I have put out pieces of string for them to use for their nests, but
will try some cat hair near the feeders.
We have a pair of Chipping Sparrows eating on our porch along with several
White Crowned Sparrows, a couple of Song Sparrows, Carolina Wren (for peanut
and sunflower chips), many Goldfinches and far too many House Finches. (Too bad
I can't round them all up for the woman who loves them. To me they are a
nuisance, eating all the sunflower seeds before the other birds can get them).
The Juncos, which also eat on our porch have left since Sunday.
The Chickadees, Titmice and WB Nuthatch eat from the small satellite feeder
hanging from a tree.
Our single pair of Bluebirds has five blue eggs since Saturday. I am feeding
mealworms to help them get started.
We have ten Martins so far, and hope the cold does not scare them away.
Two pairs of Cardinals Grackles Brown headed CowbirdsRed Winged
Blackbirds Bluejays, Tree Swallows, House Sparrows
Starlings, Doves, Red-Bellied WoodpeckerFlickers Downey WoodpeckersMany, many
Turkeys, 28 one morning.